This year in Child Protection Week (5-11 September), NAPCAN will be talking about the need to treat all of Australia’s children fairly.
We can treat kids fairly by making sure every neighbourhood has what they need to thrive and be healthy.
NAPCAN is looking for artworks to show what children and young people think about their neighbourhoods. These will then be used in a campaign to help show that protecting children is about working together as a community.
They are looking for artworks based on meaningful conversations with the children and young people themselves.
Want to take part?
What NAPCAN needs:
– Your investment in time (probably a few hours) talking to the children about their neighbourhoods and then creating the artwork; and
– Either collaborative or individual artworks by the kids.
What NAPCAN can offer:
– A certificate of thanks for participating organisations.
– The display of artworks on our website.
– A limited number of small prizes for entries received before 5 May.
Below are some talking points to get you started…
- You know your children best, so please feel free to guide your own conversation. The following are just suggestions to get you started.
- Tell the children: ‘We want to learn more about what things YOU think are most important in making the place where you live great for your family.’
- Explain that it’s not just up to mums and dads to make sure you grow up healthy and well; it’s also up to the whole community to make sure that every family has the things they need.
- As an example you could talk about what things make life easier for grownups and kids e.g. if they have jobs and enough money, if they don’t have to drive a long way to school or work, if there are fun free things to do like going to the park, if they have childcare and good schools, if they have healthy shops, and if they have friendly neighbours.
The aim is to get children thinking about all aspects of their neighbourhood and what is important for all families.
The following questions might be useful:
– What are the things you like most about your neighbourhood (or what would be in your dream neighbourhood)?
– Where do you like to go for fun with your family or friends e.g. park, library, sport, pool?
– What things in the neighbourhood are important for your parents, or other members of your family?
– What, or who, do you like to see as you walk around? (e.g. flowers, pets, other kids, friends, neighbours, favourite shops)
– What other things do we all need in a neighbourhood e.g. schools, houses, jobs, roads, doctors etc)
Depending on your group, you may like to get the children thinking a bit more deeply about fairness e.g. Do you think that all neighbourhoods have all the things that families need? Do you think that’s fair?
Draw or paint your artwork on A3 paper or larger.
- Email a digital photo of the artwork to [email protected] with a short description of who was a part of your group and what they drew and why.
- Happy creating!